April 2017 Emailing
April 13th, 2017 by Field Guides· Add a Comment
Spring greetings, birding friends! We hope the birds are afield in full song, wherever you may be. In this emailing we bring you several just-added 2017 departures (June Cloudforests of Ecuador II, Vietnam and Louisiana II in early November), and we have now confirmed New Guinea & Australia II for October…details below. You can catch up on recent Field Guides tours with 95 fabulous images from 12 tours in our March Recent Photos gallery. Linked below we also bring you 14 recent illustrated triplists (lots of pics, videos, and anecdotes), and 15 fresh itineraries for late 2017 and early 2018. The lovely Bar-headed Geese below are a sample, photographed by participant Becky Hansen in Northern India. Enjoy reading and viewing, and good birding to all!
Four extra 2017 departures
Cloudforests of Ecuador II — New Guinea/Australia II — Louisiana II — Vietnam
Added tours for 2018-2019, and new tour slideshows
- A new OREGON tour scheduled for Sep 8-17, 2018, with Cory Gregory guiding. Lots of Pacific Northwest specialties amidst some inspiring landscapes and coastline. More text info coming soon, but meanwhile there’s a slideshow on the tour page — once there, click on the link for the slideshow in larger format, where you can play it full screen.
- A new EMPEROR PENGUINS IN THE WEDDELL SEA cruise for that most iconic bird of the southern ice (Tom Johnson will guide; tentative dates are Nov 15-28, 2019, though these may shift a bit).
- And a reprise of ANTARCTICA, SOUTH GEORGIA & THE FALKLANDS, scheduled for Jan 17-Feb 7, 2019. For some beautiful imagery, once on the tour page click on the link for the slideshow in larger format, then play it full screen…wow!
We’ve also added a slideshow of guide Doug Gochfeld‘s beautiful images from ISRAEL: SPRING MIGRATION SPECTACLE — again, on the tour page, click on the link for the slideshow in larger format, then hit the Play symbol for full-screen…some real lovelies in that gallery. There’s just one space currently open for this new 2018 offering.
Online: Watching migration progress northward
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s BirdCast has been a great migration resource for birders for some years now, and they’ve recently added a new tool to categorize a species’s progress northward. Take a look at their Forecast page and click on the latest week to watch what’s happening now…it’s a great way to see not only movement patterns but pick up some great info and analysis about bird migration.
Marcelo’s short alternatives to perennial faves
Our Alta Floresta & the Northern Pantanal tour in Brazil and our top-to-bottom Chile tour are both perenially popular, and indeed you may have been eyeing them. They do, however, require two-and-a-half and three weeks of time, respectively. Now guide Marcelo Padua is offering two shorter alternatives for those whose schedules are a little more restricted. He’s bringing back two great trips we have offered in the past at Field Guides: BRAZIL’S CRISTALINO JUNGLE LODGE, only 12 days and featuring just two sites, including a 7-night stay at Cristalino, and THE HEART OF CHILE, which at 15 days focuses on central Chile and in the process picks up most of the endemic and specialty birds. Cristalino is scheduled for Nov 4-15 and Heart of Chile for Jan 27-Feb 10, 2018. If your time is at a premium, have a look. Contact our office to hold a space.
Triplists from recent tours
Click on any image below to see our annotated and illustrated online triplist. (And be sure also to see our March Recent Photos gallery for other great images.)
Comments from our travelers
Your post-tour comments on our evaluation form help us ensure that we offer the best possible tour experience and service, in the field and from our office.
“I was very happy with the overall experience. Your tours are so well-planned, your guides superb, the ground operations reliable, and I know that once I am on tour that I can relax and focus on seeing and enjoying the birds. I would most definitely travel with Jesse Fagan again. He’s such a fine guide in the field, insuring that participants have the best opportunities to see the birds, and he’s also a great companion. The tour manager was always prompt to answer any questions, and was very helpful.” B.M., JAMAICA 2017
“Mitch Lysinger is one of the best guides I have ever traveled with. It turned out that I was the only one on the tour who had not been on tour with him before, and I quickly saw why people want to travel with him over and over. He has an amazing ability to hear birds and call in difficult birds. He is incredibly knowledgeable and personable. I will be looking to travel with Mitch again.” M.P., SOUTHWESTERN ECUADOR SPECIALTIES 2017
“Karen Turner and others in your Austin office did a great job with all our details and with communication. Guide Megan Edwards Crewe has a gift at human relations and it pays off in keeping the group experience good.” D.R., BORNEO 2017
Private tours: plan your own
Want to organize your own tour with a group of special birding friends and one of our staff guides? We regularly put together just such private departures for groups of 6 or more, and they are invariably a big hit. Here’s an example of an illustrated triplist from one such recent tour, a wonderful Australia survey with guides John Coons and Rose Ann Rowlett. You can start planning your group’s next great birding trip — just contact our office.
Tour openings: May to September
- Point Pelee Migration Spectacle II, May 13-20 with Jay VanderGaast (3 spaces)
- Spring in Cape May, May 14-20 with Tom Johnson & Doug Gochfeld (2 spaces)
- Alaska I (Part One), May 30-Jun 7 with Chris Benesh & Tom Johnson (2 spaces)
- Northern Arizona’s Canyons & Condor II, Jun 9-14 with John Coons (3 spaces)
- Galapagos I, Jun 10-20 with Jesse Fagan (2 spaces)
- Alta Floresta & the Northern Pantanal, Brazil, Jun 23-Jul 9 with Marcelo Padua & Marcelo Barreiros (3 spaces)
- Machu Picchu & Abra Malaga, Peru, Jul 7-16 with Jesse Fagan (1 space)
- Jaguar Spotting: Pantanal & Garden of the Amazon, Jul 9-20 with Marcelo Padua & Marcelo Barreiros (1 space)
- Peru’s Magnetic North: Spatuletails, Owlet Lodge & More, Jul 15-26 with Dan Lane & Jesse Fagan (3 spaces)
- Cloudforests of Ecuador: All the Best of the Wild Northwest II (added departure), Jul 17-27 with Willy Perez (spaces open)
- Arizona’s Second Spring, Jul 22-31 with John Coons & Cory Gregory (2 spaces)
- Iquitos, Peru: Canopy Walkways & Ancient Forests, Jul 25-Aug 5 with Dan Lane (4 spaces)
- Ecuador: Rainforest & Andes, Sep 3-17 with Willy Perez (spaces open)
- France: Camargue & Pyrenees II, Sep 6-16 with Jay VanderGaast (4 spaces)
- Morocco, Sep 11-27 with Jesse Fagan (3 spaces)
- Ecuador’s Shiripuno Lodge, Sep 21-30 with Mitch Lysinger (4 spaces)
- Cape May Megan’s Way I, Sep 23-29 with Megan Edwards Crewe (spaces open)
- Safari Brazil: The Pantanal & More, Sep 23-Oct 8 with Marcelo Padua & Willy Perez (1 space)
- Alaska Fall Goldmine: Ross’s Gulls in Barrow & Rarities on St. Paul, Sep 30-Oct 9 with Tom Johnson & Doug Gochfeld (spaces open)
- Brazil’s Remote Rio Tapajos, Sep 30-Oct 11 with Bret Whitney & John Coons (spaces open)
Recently posted 2017-2018 itineraries
- New Guinea & Australia II (added departure), Oct 8-26 with Jay VanderGaast
- Great Rivers of the Amazon I: Exploring the Rio Aripuana, Oct 30-Nov 14 with Bret Whitney & Marcelo Barreiros
- Brazil’s Cristalino Jungle Lodge, Nov 4-15, 2017 with Marcelo Padua
- New Zealand, Nov 15-Dec 3 with Dan Lane & local guide
- Birding Arabia: Oman & the UAE, Dec 7-23, 2017 with Phil Gregory & Godfried Schreur
- Western Panama: Chiriqui & Bocas del Toro (added departure), Dec 8-17, 2017 with Jesse Fagan
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista I, Dec 19-27, 2017 with Jay VanderGaast & local guide
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista II, Dec 29, 2017-Jan 6, 2018 with Jesse Fagan
- Panama’s Canopy Lodge, Dec 30, 2017-Jan 6, 2018 with Chris Benesh
- Amazonian Ecuador: Sacha Lodge, Jan 12-21, 2018 with Willy Perez
- South Texas Rarities, Jan 13-19, 2018 with Chris Benesh
- Guyana Wilderness Paradise I Jan 13-24, 2018 with Dave Stejskal & local guide
- Colombia: Bogota, the Magdalena Valley & Santa Marta, Jan 13-28, 2018 with Jesse Fagan
- Thailand, Jan 13-Feb 3, 2018 with Jay VanderGaast & Uthai Treesucon
- Guyana Wilderness Paradise II, Jan 27-Feb 7, 2018 with Megan Edwards Crewe & local guide