August 2016 emailing
August 30th, 2016 by Field Guides· Add a Comment
Hi, birding friends! Can it really be almost September? The summer has flown by with nearly 30 tours, and next up is an exciting fall schedule, with nearly 50 more departures between now and New Year’s. This month we have a fun article by participant Joyce Miller from a Field Guides Brazil tour, news from our recent annual business meeting, 13 fresh itineraries for 2017, 12 triplists from recent tours, and a beautiful assortment of trip photos in our August Recent Photos gallery — 80 new images from 7 departures spanning Iceland, Spitsbergen, Brazil, Peru, and more, of which the drake Harlequin Ducks below from Iceland are a sample. Enjoy reading, and good birding to all.
Fun reading from a Brazil experience
Our Jaguar Spotting: Pantanal & Garden of the Amazon tour has been perennially popular since guide Marcelo Padua inaugurated it in 2011. Participant Joyce Miller was on Marcelo’s tour this July and wrote about her adventures in her northern New York newspaper, The Chronicle. Take a few minutes to read her fun article and enjoy some images from the tour as well. And if you want to follow in Joyce’s footsteps, Marcelo’s next Jaguar Spotting tour is scheduled for Jul 16-27, 2017, and there are a few spaces left!
Some rare “vagrants” sighted!
…and then they return to their “territories”!
If you’d like to catch some of those migrants and vagrants from the meeting on their home turf, here are a few possibilities. Mitch and Carmen are en route home to Ecuador, from which base Mitch will be guiding these upcoming tours: Ecuador’s Shiripuno Lodge, Sep 22-Oct 1 (3 open) and Holiday at San Isidro, Nov 19-28 (3 open). Terry Stevenson is already back on tour in Kenya, then it’ll be South Africa (fully booked) followed by Southern India (Nov 13-Dec 3, still a few spaces open). Marcelo Padua, an annual “migrant” to our meeting, has 4 consecutive Brazil tours this fall, with just the 11-day Serra dos Tucanos beginning Sep 24 with 2 spaces open. And Jesse Fagan is returning to his home base in Lima, from which he has NW Argentina (fully booked), Colombia: Llanos & More (Nov 5-15, 3 spaces), Peru’s Rarely Explored South (Nov 19-Dec 1, 2 spaces), and Holiday Costa Rica II (Dec 30-Jan 7, 1 space). Come on along on one of these open tours if you need to migrate somewhere yourself!
Recent Field Guides Facebook posts
You don’t have to be on Facebook yourself to enjoy recent additions to our Field Guides feed! Just click to our public Facebook page here to see what Megan and Tom have posted from one of our current France tours, or to check out a very cool photo of Golden Parakeets, or to see what happened on our inaugural Mouth of the Amazon tour in Brazil with Bret and Marcelo in August–and much more.
Triplists from recent tours
Recent comments (thanks!)
Your post-tour comments on our evaluation form help us ensure that we offer the best possible tour experience and service, in the field and from our office.
“Travel with guide John Coons is like traveling with a good friend who knows what he is doing and pays attention to you and the details. He makes sure everyone has a good experience.” M.M., Spitsbergen & Svalbard Archipelago 2016: A Cruise to the Norwegian Arctic
“Your office’s service was excellent. Efficient, helpful, and very pleasant. I had the good feeling that there is a large safety net behind Field Guides tours. I haven’t had this comfort with tours by smaller companies or organized by individuals.” E.L., Borneo 2016
“Jay VanderGaast is impressive in every way. His in-depth knowledge of the birds and venues visited and his excellent organization skills delivered an outstanding tour. Plus, his friendly and outgoing personality and keen sense of humor make him a pleasure to be with.” D.R., Papua New Guinea 2016
Tour openings: October to January
Handsome Orinoco Geese are but one of more than 400 species of birds likely on guide Jesse Fagan’s upcoming tour to Colombia: Llanos & More. Other possibilities include everything from Black Inca and Indigo-capped Hummingbird to Bogota Rail, Horned Screamer, Apolinar’s Wren, and Bar-crested Antshrike. Should be fun!
- Mountains of Manu, Peru, Oct 1-16 with Pepe Rojas (2 open)
- Australia Part Two, Oct 18-Nov 2 with Chris Benesh & Cory Gregory (1 open)
- New Guinea & Australia, Oct 27-Nov 14 with Jay VanderGaast & Doug Gochfeld (1 open)
- Spectacular S.E. Brazil Part One, Oct 28-Nov 13 with Bret Whitney & Tom Johnson (3 open)
- Colombia: Llanos & More, Nov 5-15 with Jesse Fagan (2 open)
- New Zealand, Nov 6-24 with Dan Lane (2 open)
- Southern India, Nov 13-Dec 3 with Terry Stevenson (spaces open)
- Holiday at San Isidro, Ecuador, Nov 19-28 with Mitch Lysinger (3 open)
- Mexico: Yucatan & Cozumel, Nov 19-28 with Chris Benesh (2 open)
- Peru’s Rarely Explored South, Nov 19-Dec 1 with Jesse Fagan (3 open)
- Holiday in Peru: Iquitos, Dec 17-28 with Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista I, Dec 18-26 with Megan Crewe (2 open)
- Arizona Winter Specialties, Dec 29-Jan 4 with Chris Benesh (2 open)
- Holiday at Ecuador’s Wildsumaco Lodge, Dec 29-Jan 8 with Willy Perez (4 open)
- Panama’s Canopy Lodge, Dec 30-Jan 6 with John Coons (1 open)
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista II, Dec 30-Jan 7 with Jesse Fagan (1 open)
- Nowhere but Northeast Brazil!, Jan 9-27 with Bret Whitney & Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Amazonian Ecuador: Sacha Lodge I, Jan 13-22 with Willy Perez (spaces open)
- Costa Rica: Birding the Edges (Part I), Jan 14-23 with Tom Johnson (2 spaces)
- Winter Japan: Cranes & Sea-Eagles, Jan 20-Feb 4 with Phil Gregory (1 space)
- Northern India: Birds, Tiger & Taj Mahal, Jan 28-Feb 17 with Terry Stevenson (1 space)
Recently posted 2017 itineraries
- Borneo I, Feb 11-19 with Megan Crewe & local guide
- East Africa Highlights I, Mar 4-24 with Terry Stevenson
- Belize: Tropical Birding, Short & Sweet, Apr 1-8 with Megan Edwards Crewe
- Texas’s Big Bend & Hill Country, Apr 22-May 1 with Chris Benesh
- Do the Charleston: Spring in S. Carolina, Apr 23-29 with Jesse Fagan
- Southeast Arizona: Birding the Border I, May 5-14 with John Coons
- Point Pelee Migration Spectacle, May 6-13 with Jay VanderGaast
- Spain: La Mancha, Coto Donana & Extremadura, May 6-18 with Chris Benesh
- Southeast Arizona: Birding the Border II, May 12-21 with Dave Stejskal
- Maine: Birding Downeast, May 27-Jun 4 with Eric Hynes
- Borneo II, Jun 6-23 with Dave Stejskal
- Montana: Yellowstone to Glacier, Jun 8-18 with Terry & Karen McEneaney
- East Africa Highlights II, Jul 1-21 with Terry Stevenson