July 2016 emailing
July 26th, 2016 by Field Guides· Add a Comment
Mid-summer–what a great time of year. Field Guides tours to Newfoundland, New Guinea, Iceland, Brazil, Ecuador, Spitsbergen, East Africa, Peru, and Galagagos have just wrapped up, and we have a busy slate of other trips ahead of our annual business meeting in Arizona in mid-August. This month we have some fun birding info, 10 fresh itineraries for 2017, 16 triplists from recent tours, and a beautiful assortment of trip photos in our July Recent Photos gallery — 70 new images from 9 departures spanning Alta Floresta to Ethiopia and Montana to Alaska. The Black-billed Barbet from Ethiopia participant Becky Hansen below is just a sample. Enjoy reading, and good birding to all.
Cool birding info: Peru app, Feather Atlas & more
- Hot off the press: There’s now an iPhone and iPad app for the Birds of Peru field guide, co-authored by our own Field Guide Dan Lane. Now you can take all those great birds with you into the field in a small pocket…amazing! Check it out here on the iTunes store.
- We’re always spotting dropped feathers when we’re out birding, and it’s fun to try to I.D. them. If you enjoy doing the same in North America and haven’t seen it yet, check out the online Feather Atlas from the US Fish & Wildlife Department. You can key out your find using some pattern and color characteristics, and on your way to identifying your feather you’ll pick up some cool comparison points, too. Have fun being a feather sleuth!
- In the birding-related department, if you enjoy learning about the mammals you’re bound to encounter while out in the field, explore this North American Mammals website from the Smithsonian where you can search for species by name, by location, by taxonomic relationship, and more…pretty cool.
- Love ID tips? Pick up helpful hints on identifying Solitary Sandpipers from guide Tom Johnson’s informative piece in Cape May Bird Observatory’s July View from the Cape.
Birding from 9 to 13 days for the 2016 Holidays
We have a diverse array of choices with those 8 great guides shown above if you’re looking for a birding escape with space still open over the Thanksgiving or December breaks:
- Holiday at San Isidro, Ecuador, Nov 19-28 with Mitch Lysinger
- Holiday Mexico: Yucatan & Cozumel, Nov 19-28 with Chris Benesh (4 spaces)
- Peru’s Rarely Explored South, Nov 19-Dec 1 with Jesse Fagan
- Holiday Peru: Iquitos, Dec 17-28 with Dan Lane
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista I Dec 18-26 with Megan Edwards Crewe (1 space)
- Arizona Winter Specialties, Dec 29-Jan 4 with Chris Benesh (4 spaces)
- Holiday at Ecuador’s Wildsumaco Lodge, Dec 29-Jan 8 with Willy Perez (4 spaces)
- Panama’s Canopy Lodge, Dec 30-Jan 6 with John Coons (3 spaces)
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista II, Dec 30-Jan 7 with Jesse Fagan (1 space)
- Trinidad & Tobago, Dec 30-Jan 8 with Tom Johnson (1 space)
Above, some images from our upcoming 2016 holiday itineraries, which include a visit to Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula with Chris Benesh, where in addition to plenty of landbirds we’ll see American Flamingos lighting up a lagoon; some beautiful landscapes and plenty of local and regional endemics like Cactus Canastero and the striking Inca Tern on Jesse Fagan’s Holiday Southern Peru; and the ever-regal Resplendent Quetzal on Holiday Costa Rica I with Megan Edwards Crewe. Thanks to participants Johanne Charbonneau and Paul Bisson for the great flamingo and quetzal images.
Fresh tour galleries
We’ve continued to add new slideshows to some of our tour pages. You can see examples on the pages listed below. Note too that on each page there’s a link to a larger version of the slideshow that has a fullscreen option. Enjoy!
Triplists from recent tours
Click on any image below to see our annotated and illustrated online triplist. (And be sure also to see our July Recent Photos gallery for other great images.)
Recent comments (thanks!)
Your post-tour comments on our evaluation form help us ensure that we offer the best possible tour experience and service, in the field and from our office.
“An excellent experience. Great birds, lovely habitats, delightful lodge, good group of participants, and superb guiding by Bret Whitney.” J.S., Brazil’s Rio Roosevelt: Birding the River of Doubt 2016
“As my first birding tour, it was fantastic. Eric Hynes is so very knowledgeable and patient especially since most everyone else was experienced. I could not have imagined a better experience.” C.A, Iceland 2016
“This was one the best birding tours I have taken. Particularly, the careful organization exhibited by the company to every aspect of the trip. I would like to mention the excellent birding guiding services of Mitch Lysinger and local guide Oscar Tapuy. No question about it, I will be with you again in the future.” P.L., Amazonian Ecuador: Sacha Lodge III 2016
Tour openings: September to December
This image by guide Tom Johnson shows a small part of a massive Sooty Shearwater flock of about 80,000 birds seen in Half Moon Bay on our September 2015 Slice of California: Seabirds to Sierra tours. There’s one space left on Tom’s Sep 13-22 tour.
- France II, Sep 3-13 with Jay VanderGaast (spaces open)
- Rio Negro Paradise: Manaus I, Sep 3-17 with Marcelo Padua & Dave Stejskal (3 open)
- Bolivia’s Avian Riches, Sep 3-19 with Dan Lane (2 open)
- Slice of California: Seabirds to Sierra II, Sep 13-22 with Tom Johnson (1 open)
- Ecuador’s Shiripuno Lodge, Sep 22-Oct 1 with Mitch Lysinger (3 open)
- Serra dos Tucanos, Brazil, Sep 24-Oct 4 with Marcelo Padua (3 open)
- Mountains of Manu, Peru, Oct 1-16 with Pepe Rojas (2 open)
- Cape May Megan’s Way II, Oct 2-8 with Megan Edwards Crewe (1 open)
- Barrow: Search for Ross’s Gull, Oct 7-11 with Chris Benesh (spaces open)
- Australia Part Two, Oct 18-Nov 2 with Chris Benesh (2 open)
- Southern Argentina, Oct 25-Nov 11 with Dave Stejskal (spaces open)
- Spectacular S.E. Brazil Part One, Oct 28-Nov 13 with Bret Whitney & Tom Johnson (3 open)
- Northern Peru: Endemics Galore, Oct 30-Nov 19 with Richard Webster (2 open)
- Colombia: Llanos & More, Nov 5-15 with Jesse Fagan (2 open)
- New Zealand, Nov 6-24 with Dan Lane (1 open)
- Southern India, Nov 13-Dec 3 with Terry Stevenson (spaces open)
- Holiday at San Isidro, Ecuador, Nov 19-28 with Mitch Lysinger (spaces open)
- Mexico: Yucatan & Cozumel, Nov 19-28 with Chris Benesh (4 open)
- Peru’s Rarely Explored South, Nov 19-Dec 1 with Jesse Fagan (spaces open)
- Holiday in Peru: Iquitos, Dec 17-28 with Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista, Dec 18-26 with Megan Crewe (1 open)
- Arizona Winter Specialties, Dec 29-Jan 4 with Chris Benesh (4 open)
- Holiday at Ecuador’s Wildsumaco Lodge, Dec 29-Jan 8 with Willy Perez (4 open)
- Panama’s Canopy Lodge, Dec 30-Jan 6 with John Coons (3 open)
- Holiday Costa Rica: Rancho Naturalista II, Dec 30-Jan 7 with Jesse Fagan (1 open)
- Trinidad & Tobago, Dec 30-Jan 8 with Tom Johnson (1 open)
Recently posted 2017 itineraries
- Guatemala: Shade-grown Birding, Feb 11-19 with Jesse Fagan
- Puerto Rico, Mar 11-17 with Tom Johnson
- Ecuador’s Wildsumaco Lodge, Mar 12-22 with Willy Perez
- Hawaii, Mar 30-Apr 8 with Dan Lane
- Ghana, Mar 30-Apr 18 with Phil Gregory
- Colorado Grouse I, Apr 1-11 with Chris Benesh & Dave Stejskal
- Bhutan, Apr 8-27 with Richard Webster
- Colorado Grouse II, Apr 9-19 with Tom Johnson
- Texas Coast Migration Spectacle I, Apr 15-21 with John Coons
- Texas Coast Migration Spectacle II, Apr 22-28 with John Coons
- Arizona Nightbirds & More I, Apr 27-May 1 with Tom Johnson
- Arizona Nightbirds & More II, May 4-8 with Dave Stejskal
- Ireland in Spring: Birds, Traditional Music & Pubs, May 4-14 with Terry & Karen McEneaney