October 2016 emailing
October 25th, 2016 by Field Guides· Add a Comment
Hello, all! Thanksgiving and the December holidays are seemingly just around the corner. Before the New Year arrives, we have another 23 Field Guides tours to send out into the field, and if you’re in the traveling mood, 8 still have at least a couple of spaces open for a Nov/Dec holiday–see below. In this emailing we have a cool “Super Hummingbirds” video link and scrub-jay piece, an added May Point Pelee departure, a late-opening Thailand space, 5 fresh 2017 itineraries, 6 triplists from recent tours, and a beautiful assortment of images in our October Recent Photos gallery — 48 new ones highlighting 6 departures ranging from Kenya to Bolivia and Brazil to Cape May. The Pin-tailed Manakin below is a sample from guide Marcelo Padua on his Serra dos Tucanos, Brazil tour. Enjoy reading, and good birding to all!
Cool bird news: “super” hummers & scrub-jays
A new show in PBS’s Nature series titled “Super Hummingbirds” is definitely worth 50 minutes of your time, and you’ll get to watch many of the wonderful hummers we see on our tours throughout the Americas, from Costa’s Hummingbird in Arizona to mangos, coronets, jacobins, sylphs, sunbeams, sapphires, and many more in the tropics. Have a look at the full episode here. It will be available online until Nov 12. If you’d like to see many of these same species in images, too, watch our hummingbirds slideshow, refreshed earlier this year with 55 photos by our participants and guides.
Also, check out this interesting piece on the All About Birds website on the importance of saving small, declining satellite populations of species to enhance genetic diversity, with the pertinent example of Florida Scrub-Jays (which we’ll be seeing on our new 2018 Florida tour).
2017: added Point Pelee II in May, Thailand space
Our original departure to Canada’s famed migration hotspot is fully booked, so we’ve added a second Point Pelee Migration Spectacle tour with guide Jay VanderGaast for May 13-20, 2017. While taking the pulse of spring migration, we’ll be watching for as many as 30 species of warblers plus a bevy of other great Eastern birds. In addition to birding Pelee we’ll visit Rondeau and Long Point provincial parks as well as the Carden Plain (for goodies such as Upland Sandpiper, Golden-winged Warbler, and Bobolink). The tour is just 8 days start to finish, priced at $2675 with a small group of seven.
Our January 2017 Thailand tour had been full for a good long while, but we have an unexpected late cancellation…so there’s now a space for you. Dates are Jan 14-Feb 4, and there’s one special twist: our group of just 11 will have three guides at the helm to show you all those wonderful birds: Dave Stejskal, Jay VanderGaast, and our longtime Thai co-leader Uthai Treesucon. Quite the guide ratio! If that doesn’t fit your schedule, you can try next door on the single spot remaining open on our Cambodia: Angkor Temples & Vanishing Birds tour with Phil Gregory, Feb 4-18. Come to think of it, you could also take them both back to back if you’d like a month-plus of great Southeast Asia birding.
It’s here! Field Guide to Birds of Northern Central America
Guide Jesse Fagan, who has traveled and guided extensively throughout Central America, has been working on this project for several years when not on tour, and the fruits of his labors are at last here: the lovely and truly field-sized Peterson Field Guide to Birds of Northern Central America, co-authored with ornithologist Oliver Komar and with lovely illustrations by Robert Dean and Peter Burke. Covering the region between Mexico and Nicaragua, this will be an indispensable item for several of our upcoming tours, including Belize and Guatemala. The book will be released in just a few days (Nov 1); find out about pre-ordering or purchasing at this Amazon link. Congrats to our “Motmot” and team on a beautiful job–we can’t wait to put it to use in the field!
Recent Field Guides Facebook posts
You don’t have to be on Facebook yourself to enjoy recent additions to our Field Guides feed. Just click to our public Facebook page here to see the Purple-breasted Cotinga (r.) and other delights that guide Bret Whitney has posted from Brazil, or Australia tour highlights from Tom Johnson & John Coons or Chris Benesh & Cory Gregory, or what’s been happening on the Northwestern Argentina trip from Jesse Fagan & Willy Perez. Come check out our recent Field Guides goings-on.
Holiday Escapes for November & December
Gotta get away birding and escape some of the upcoming hubbub? We have at least a couple of spaces open on these five holiday trips to Mexico, Ecuador, and Peru–just contact our office to hold a space.
Holiday Mexico: Yucatan & Cozumel, Nov 19-28 with Chris Benesh (at right: the Mayan ruins of Uxmal by participant Michel Metayer)
Holiday at San Isidro, Ecuador, Nov 19-28 with Mitch Lysinger
Peru’s Rarely Explored South, Nov 19-Dec 1 with Jesse Fagan
Triplists from recent tours
Click on any image below to see our annotated and illustrated online triplist. (And be sure also to see our October Recent Photos gallery for other great images.)
And if you’d like a little additional fun, have a peek at guide Doug Gochfeld’s two-minute video clip from one of our recent Cape May Megan’s Way tours, including watching an eider navigate the surf.
Recent participant comments
Your post-tour comments on our evaluation form help us ensure that we offer the best possible tour experience and service, in the field and from our office.
“An excellent tour. I had a great time and would do it again. Tom Johnson did an outstanding job. He gets 5 gold stars in my book. I would happily tour with him again. Field Guides always seems to do a great job.” B.K., Slice of California: Seabirds to Sierra 2016
“I had always wanted to bird Cape May during migration. A friend recommended Field Guides. The tour was excellent. The best features were the guides, Megan Edwards Crewe and Doug Gochfeld, and the birds. I loved all the birding experience and teaching from our guides.” C.C., Cape May Megan’s Way 2016
“An outstanding tour — all expectations met and much more! The birding was superb; John Coons was so on the birds and made sure everyone got on them. We didn’t miss a beat. It was birding at its best… Your office service was excellent — always polite and helpful.” B.B., Arizona: Birding the Border 2016
Tour openings: November to March
A pink-washed Black-and-yellow Broadbill by guide Dave Stejskal from our 2016 Thailand tour. See Dave’s triplist here for all the highlights. There’s one space still open to join Dave and co-leaders Jay VanderGaast and Uthai Treesucon on this tour departing January 14.
- Colombia: Llanos & More, Nov 5-15 with Jesse Fagan (2 open)
- New Zealand, Nov 6-24 with Dan Lane (2 open)
- Southern India, Nov 13-Dec 3 with Terry Stevenson (spaces open)
- Holiday at San Isidro, Ecuador, Nov 19-28 with Mitch Lysinger (2 open)
- Mexico: Yucatan & Cozumel, Nov 19-28 with Chris Benesh (2 open)
- Peru’s Rarely Explored South, Nov 19-Dec 1 with Jesse Fagan (3 open)
- Holiday in Peru: Iquitos, Dec 17-28 with Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Holiday at Ecuador’s Wildsumaco Lodge, Dec 29-Jan 8 with Willy Perez (2 open)
- Nowhere but Northeast Brazil!, Jan 9-27 with Bret Whitney & Dan Lane (3 open)
- Amazonian Ecuador: Sacha Lodge I, Jan 13-22 with Willy Perez (3 open)
- Costa Rica: Birding the Edges (Part I), Jan 14-23 with Tom Johnson (2 spaces)
- Thailand, Jan 14-Feb 4 with Dave Stejskal & Jay VanderGaast (1 space)
- Amazonian Ecuador: Sacha Lodge II, Feb 3-12 with Mitch Lysinger (2 spaces)
- Colombia: Medellin Escape, Feb 4-13 with Richard Webster (1 space)
- Cambodia: Angkor Temples & Vanishing Birds, Feb 4-18 with Phil Gregory (1 space)
- Panama’s Canopy Tower, Feb 5-11 with Chris Benesh (4 spaces)
- Mexico: Oaxaca, Feb 11-18 with Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Guatemala: Shade-grown Birding, Feb 11-19 with Jesse Fagan (spaces open)
- Trinidad & Tobago, Feb 11-20 with Tom Johnson (1 space)
- Borneo, Feb 28-Mar 17, Megan Edwards Crewe & local guide (1 space)
- Colombia: Santa Marta Escape, Mar 4-12 with Richard Webster (3 spaces)
- Brazil Nutshell I, Mar 4-18 with Marcelo Padua (1 space)
- East Africa Highlights: Kenya & Tanzania, Mar 4-24 with Terry Stevenson (spaces open)
- Puerto Rico, Mar 11-17 with Tom Johnson & Doug Gochfeld (spaces open)
- Panama’s Canopy Tower & Lodge, Mar 12-19 with John Coons (2 spaces)
- Ecuador’s Wildsumaco Lodge, Mar 12-22 with Willy Perez (4 spaces)
- Costa Rica, Mar 19-Apr 3 with Jay VanderGaast (2 spaces)
- Brazil Nutshell II, Mar 25-Apr 8 with Marcelo Padua (spaces open)
Recently posted 2017 itineraries
- Galapagos I, Jun 10-20 with Jesse Fagan
- Spitsbergen & Svalbard Archipelago (Arctic Norway) Cruise, Jun 19-29, 2017 with John Coons
- Galapagos II, Jul 8-18 with Willy Perez
- Arizona’s Second Spring I, Jul 22-31 with John Coons
- Arizona’s Second Spring II, Jul 29-Aug 7 with Chris Benesh