September 2016 emailing
September 29th, 2016 by Field Guides· Add a Comment
Greetings, birding friends! Our fall schedule is underway, with tours to Peru, Cape May, South Africa, Argentina, and Brazil set to depart in the next two weeks, and much more ahead. This month we have two interesting bird news pieces, a 7-day January Brazil option, 8 fresh 2017 itineraries, 6 triplists from recent tours, and a beautiful assortment of images in our September Recent Photos gallery — 67 new ones from 6 tours spanning France, Brazil, Peru, Arizona, and California. The Whiskered Screech-Owl below by participant Daphne Tsui is a sample from Arizona’s Second Spring. Enjoy reading, and good birding to all!
Cool bird news: butterbutts & hummers
If changes in bird taxonomy and names can sometimes make your head spin, and you never quite adjusted to calling those birds “Yellow-rumped Warbler,” here’s a little fun news piece from the All About Birds website based on a study in The Auk. There’s even a splitter’s bonus!
And if you think hummingbirds are cool (who doesn’t?), well, this recent Science article kinda puts the lie to that—so to speak—in this Trochilid hotspot special. Enjoy!
Brazil: a 7-day January option you haven’t thought of?
Field Guides 2017-2018 catalog coming soon!
Recent Field Guides Facebook posts
Triplists from recent tours
Click on any image below to see our annotated and illustrated online triplist. (And be sure also to see our September Recent Photos gallery for other great images.)
Recent comments (thanks!)
Your post-tour comments on our evaluation form help us ensure that we offer the best possible tour experience and service, in the field and from our office.
“It was an outstanding tour. Our two guides, Megan and Tom, are the best in the business and they did not disappoint. We were able to bird in two very diverse regions and see so many of the birds for each of the areas. It was a wonderful group of birders. Your guides are phenomenal and you keep the groups small. This makes seeing the birds exceptional.” G.T., France: Camargue & Pyrenees I 2016
“We have always had excellent experiences with Field Guides tours. This trip was wonderful. For all of us, it was our first experience on a boat tour. It was wonderful to be able to have such a long time without having to repack. The staff on the boat was so nice, and the food was great, especially the crema! As I expected, Marcelo was a great guide. I didn’t miss a single lifer that he spotted.” S.C., Rio Negro Paradise: Manaus, Brazil 2016
“I’m very grateful for Field Guides’s commitment to making such trips a really good experience. Our group really gelled well, and everyone was very considerate of all the other members of the group.” A.S., France: Camargue & Pyrenees II 2016
Tour openings: Late October to February
Some eye-catching landscapes combine with spectacular birds and numerous endemics and rarities on our Nowhere but Northeast Brazil tour coming up in January with guides Bret Whitney and Dan Lane. Above are Band-tailed Manakin, Blond-crested Woodpecker, and Araripe Manakin by participants Steve James, David & Judy Smith, and Kathy Brown.
- Louisiana: Yellow Rails & Crawfish Tails, Oct 27-31 with Bret Dan Lane & Dave Stejskal (1 open)
- Spectacular S.E. Brazil Part One, Oct 28-Nov 13 with Bret Whitney & Tom Johnson (1 open)
- Colombia: Llanos & More, Nov 5-15 with Jesse Fagan (2 open)
- New Zealand, Nov 6-24 with Dan Lane (2 open)
- Chile, Nov 6-26 with Willy Perez & local guide (1 open)
- Southern India, Nov 13-Dec 3 with Terry Stevenson (spaces open; tour is a “go”)
- Holiday at San Isidro, Ecuador, Nov 19-28 with Mitch Lysinger (2 open)
- Mexico: Yucatan & Cozumel, Nov 19-28 with Chris Benesh (2 open)
- Peru’s Rarely Explored South, Nov 19-Dec 1 with Jesse Fagan (3 open)
- Holiday in Peru: Iquitos, Dec 17-28 with Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Holiday at Ecuador’s Wildsumaco Lodge, Dec 29-Jan 8 with Willy Perez (2 open)
- Panama’s Canopy Lodge, Dec 30-Jan 6 with John Coons (3 open)
- Nowhere but Northeast Brazil!, Jan 9-27 with Bret Whitney & Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Amazonian Ecuador: Sacha Lodge I, Jan 13-22 with Willy Perez (3 open)
- Costa Rica: Birding the Edges (Part I), Jan 14-23 with Tom Johnson (2 spaces)
- Northern India: Birds, Tiger & Taj Mahal, Jan 28-Feb 17 with Terry Stevenson (1 space)
- Amazonian Ecuador: Sacha Lodge II, Feb 3-12 with Mitch Lysinger (spaces open)
- Colombia: Medellin Escape, Feb 4-13 with Richard Webster (spaces open)
- Birds & Wines of Chile and Argentina, Feb 4-18 with Marcelo Padua & John Coons (3 spaces)
- Cambodia: Angkor Temples & Vanishing Birds, Feb 4-18 with Phil Gregory & Doug Gochfeld (2 spaces)
- Panama’s Canopy Tower I, Feb 5-11 with Chris Benesh (spaces open)
- Mexico: Oaxaca, Feb 11-18 with Dan Lane (spaces open)
- Guatemala: Shade-grown Birding, Feb 11-19 with Jesse Fagan (spaces open)
- Trinidad & Tobago, Feb 11-20 with Tom Johnson (1 space)
- Owlberta: Alberta’s Owls & Winter Specialties, Feb 18-24 with Jay VanderGaast (4 spaces)
- Borneo, Feb 28-Mar 17, Megan Edwards Crewe & local guide (3 spaces)
Recently posted 2017 itineraries
- Bahamas Endemics & Kirtland’s Warbler, Apr 1-7 with Jesse Fagan
- Hungary & Romania, Apr 22-May 8 with Terry Stevenson & Lajos Nemeth-Boka
- Ethiopia: Endemic Birds & Ethiopian Wolf, May 5-25 with Richard Webster
- Northern Arizona’s Canyons & Condor, Jun 3-8 with John Coons
- Iceland, Jun 20-29 with Eric Hynes & Godfried Schreur
- Cloudforests of Ecuador: All the Best of the Wild N.W., Jun 29-Jul 9 with Willy Perez
- Newfoundland & Nova Scotia, Jul 2-12 with Chris Benesh
- Colombia: Cali Escape, Nov 18-27 with Richard Webster