November 2017 emailing
November 30th, 2017 by Field Guides· Add a Comment
Hello, all! It’s been a great fall at Field Guides, traveling with you all over the globe–New Guinea, Morocco, California, Brazil, Peru, Louisiana, Australia, Ecuador, Namibia, Vietnam, Madagascar, Chile, to name a few destinations. Various of these adventures are represented in this month’s eight recent triplists shown below, as well as in our November Recent Photos gallery, with 80 fresh images from recent tours. Below, as a sample, is a photo by Tom Johnson of guide Bret Whitney getting everyone focused on a Guianan Red-Cotinga in Brazil (what a great bird!). Scroll down for schedule updates on Iceland 2018 and Galapagos 2019, a link to a very cool video of migration in Brazil, a group offer for our 2018 Jewels of Ecuador tours, and a fun suggestion for your holiday gift-giving. You’ll also spot 10 fresh itineraries for 2018 and spaces available January to May. Enjoy reading and viewing, and good birding to all!
Updates: Iceland II 2018 (added) and Galapagos I 2019
After sending out our October emailing, we realized we had tagged guide Cory Gregory‘s new Oregon tour as first running in 2019, when it actually will be inaugurated in September 2018. That 2018 departure is provisionally full, but you can be waitlisted if you wish, and we have space available on the Aug 31, 2019 departure!
Phenomena on tour: Snail Kites on the move in Brazil
Jewels of Ecuador 2018 tours: got a group of four for a discount?
A great gift idea: The Naturalist’s Notebook
Triplists from recent tours
Click on any image or link below to see our annotated and illustrated online triplist. (And be sure also to see our November Recent Photos gallery for other great images.)
Comments from our travelers
Your post-tour comments on our evaluation form help us ensure that we offer the best possible tour experience and service, in the field and from our office.
“This tour was absolutely outstanding! It is a true privilege to be able to learn from guide Dan Lane. He is unfailingly open to any and all questions, and his wonderful sense of humor, as well as level-headed and steady demeanor, make traveling with him a joy.” G.G., IQUITOS, PERU 2017
“An outstanding tour…without a doubt I’d travel with guide Chris Benesh again. A wonderful group of fellow birders—enjoyed meeting all of them and forming what we hope to be lasting friendships. I can always count on the Field Guides office staff and the tour manager for top-rate service.” D.B., SLICE OF CALIFORNIA 2017
“I wanted to see Machu Picchu and go birding in Peru. I searched the internet and found Field Guides. Lucky for me. Other members of my tour group were repeat clients to Field Guides…a good sign that the tours are a value to birders. The tour was fabulous. It exceeded my expectations. Jesse Fagan is an outstanding leader, and he made every single event memorable. Not only that, he is personable and engaging with all members of the group, the driver, and the local guide. He has an instant rapport with the service representatives at the hotels and venues that are used. He is truly an asset to Field Guides.” K.S., MACHU PICCHU & ABRA MALAGA, PERU 2017
Private tours: plan your own
Tour openings: January into May
Our December tours are fully booked (we’re looking forward to traveling with you!), so we turn our attention to spaces available in early 2018—it’s hard to believe the New Year is just a few weeks away! One of our favorite itineraries to three of Brazil’s premier birding venues is Brazil Nutshell: Intervales, Iguazu Falls & the Pantanal. Simply put, it’s a fantastic introduction to the birds of Brazil (that’s a fabulous Jabiru above), and we stay several nights at each of these birdy sites to ensure an unhurried pace as we rack up some 400 species. Marcelo Padua (the “Manakin” in our parlance) and Marcelo Barreiros (we are still working on a bird name—perhaps you’ll have an idea!) are teaming up March 3-17, 2018 to lead this unforgettable adventure through their home country. If you’d like to hold a space, contact our office.
- Costa Rica: Birding the Edges (Part I), Jan 6-15 with Tom Johnson & Cory Gregory (spaces open)
- Costa Rica: Birding the Edges (Part II), Jan 14-23 with Tom Johnson & Cory Gregory (spaces open)
- Jewels of Ecuador I, Jan 20-Feb 6 with Willy Perez (4 spaces)
- The Heart of Chile, Jan 27-Feb 10 with Marcelo Padua & Marcelo Barreiros (1 space)
- Panama’s Canopy Tower, Feb 4-10 with Chris Benesh & local guide (2 spaces)
- Cambodia: Angkor Temples & Vanishing Birds Feb 10-24 with Phil Gregory & Doug Gochfeld (3 spaces)
- Colombia: Santa Marta Escape, Feb 24-Mar 4 with Richard Webster & Cory Gregory (spaces open)
- Borneo I, Feb 27-Mar 16 with Dave Stejskal & local guide (2 spaces)
- Brazil Nutshell, Mar 3-17 with Marcelo Padua & Marcelo Barreiros (spaces open)
- Southwestern Ecuador Specialties, Mar 4-18 with Willy Perez (3 spaces)
- Costa Rica, Mar 10-25 with Jay VanderGaast & local guide (1 space)
- Jewels of Ecuador II, Mar 17-Apr 3 with Mitch Lysinger (spaces open)
- Bahamas: Endemics & Kirtland’s Warbler, Mar 31-Apr 4 with Jesse Fagan (spaces open)
- Bhutan, Apr 7-26 with Richard Webster & Megan Edwards Crewe (2 spaces)
- Texas’ Big Bend & Hill Country, Apr 21-30 with Chris Benesh & Cory Gregory (spaces open)
- Spain, May 5-17 with Chris Benesh & Godfried Schreur (spaces open)
- Classical Greece, May 5-19 with Megan Edwards Crewe (1 space)
- Arizona Nightbirds & More II, May 10-14 with Dave Stejskal (2 spaces)
- Spring in Cape May, May 13-19 with Tom Johnson & Doug Gochfeld (spaces open)
- Arizona: Birding the Border II, May 19-28 with Dave Stejskal (spaces open)
- Uganda, May 19-Jun 8 with Jesse Fagan (4 spaces)
Recently posted 2018 itineraries
Click on any image or link below to see the detailed itinerary for the following 2018 tours. Lots of info in these and some great images as well!